Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Real World

Being in the real world is great. I can pretty much do whatever I fancy, eat whatever I want, when I want and spend my weekly paychecks on whatever I want (as long as I have enough at the end of the month to pay the bills). My problem is I don't really know how much I have to spend.

Sure I know how much is in my bank account, and how long I have until the big rent payment on the 1st but I still have to really think when I go out shopping whether I can swing picking up a pair of $20 pants. This somehow creates a strange outcome, I spend my money on interesting things on a whim instead of the things that I have been planning to buy for months. For example, I still dont have the wooden bed frame that I was planning to buy months ago after buying my big honkin' desk. Also I've had a plan for buying a flatscreen to go on the mantle, but it never seems like an ideal time to throw down the cash to buy it. Simple reason for both is that I really dont need them. My bed on its little metal legs is perfectly fine except for the bare white boxspring that seems to taunt me with its nakedness. And as far as the TV goes, I never sit in my living room, which is where the TV would go, so everytime I go to the store it seems like a giant waste of money. That said I instead go and actually waste my money.

This weekend I marked the culmination of a master plan several weeks in the making. After throwing out the dirty hand me down lawn furnature that sat unused on my balcony I came up with a plan. The Outdoor Futon. My futon was taken apart and in the outdoor storage closet I have since I got my new furniture(which I've sat on maybe twice). My problem was that I didnt want to put the futon mattress on it and have it get wet and mildewy with the weather. I had checked out outdoor mattresses online and realized that they were ungodly expensive. Then it dawned on me one day while perusing the wares of my local Walmart superstore. I could use lounge chair mattresses. So I finally picked two up, assembled the futon on the balcony (not as easy as it sounds) and threw them down on the futon. I found it nice that they included ties on them, but was disappointed when I found that they only were on half of it. So now I have to engineer a way to put a loop through the other corner so the back piece doesnt lean down disappointedly. I could probably borrow the work rivet machine that we never use. Never-the-less I definitely enjoyed the 80 degree weather today while I had a sandwich and read Entertainment Weekly on the fancy ghetto futon I've created.

1 comment:

-P said...

This is a neat blog! It's as if I'm reading about my own thoughts and behaviors, but I don't have to go to the trouble of writing them down.